A Jib Crane is a type of crane where a horizontal member (jib or boom), supporting a moveable hoist, is fixed to a wall or to a floor-mounted pillar. Jib cranes are used in a wide variety of industrial applications. The jib may swing through an arc, to give additional lateral movement, or be fixed.
Free Standing Jib Crane
- The Free Standing Jib Crane is Gorbel’s most versatile crane. They are perfect to place underneath large bridge cranes, in open areas where they can serve several work stations, in outdoor applications such as loading docks, or in machining and assembly operations where they can be overlapped with other jibs to provide stages operation.
Gorbel’s Advantage – Ease of Operation
- Allows operators to position loads precisely, effortlessly, and efficiently.
- Precision tapered roller bearings in top pivot and trunnion assemblies provide smooth operation and long life.
- Full supporting triangular base plate gussets are used (in lieu of struts) to minimize crane deflection, thus making it easier to accurately position loads.
- Independent head assembly, installed separately from the boom for easier installation.
- Recessed bearing assembly allows greatly reduced clearances needed for installation.
- Bolted head/boom connection which permits separate installation and provides maximum lift for the hoist, since it can be installed very close to the underside of the lower ceiling obstruction for greater headroom.
- In-head totally enclosed, bottom entry collector assembly allows the option of easily adding power to the hoist for 360° rotation at the time of or after purchase.
- Head retaining pin provides resistance to accidental upward dis-lodgement of the head.
Full Rated Capacity
- Pre-engineered for use with powered hoists. A factor of 15% of the jib crane capacity is allowed for the hoist and trolley weight with an additonal 25% of the capacity allowed for impact, thus giving full rated capacity use of the jib.
Designed for Performance
- Gorbel’s boxed style head provides benefits from installation through operation of the jib crane.
- The Design allows for installation of the head prior to the boom, which reduces the required installation clearances and allows maximum hoist lift.
- The boxed style head also increases stability versus common sleeve-over-pipe designs. The result is less deflection and bouncing of the load which creates a safer application with reduced risk of product damage.
Mast Type Jib Cranes
The MT Series Crane is floor supported, top stabilized, and is capable of 360° rotation via a top and bottom bearing assembly.
Three Key Requirements must be met before deciding on a Mast Type Jib Crane:
- An adequate structural support to stabilize the crane at the top of the mast must exist. If the jib is installed underneath an overhead crane runway or building truss, then the deflection of the supporting member may not exceed 1/2 inch
- Clearance overhead for the pivot assembly must exist
- Clearance overhead for the boom to rotate must exist
Gorbel Mast Type Jibs are Available in Two Styles
- MT400 Full Cantilever – Provides for maximum amount of lift where full use of available headroom is desired.
- MT450 Drop Cantilever – Jib crane boom can be placed at a specific height to clear overhead obstructions.
- A simple and efficient design that usually requires no special foundation makes the Mast Type Crane the most cost effective of the 360° rotation jib styles.
Exerts Less Force On Building Structure
- Exerts the least amount of force of any Gorbel® jib on its supporting structure.
- Gorbel’s mast type jib crane utilizes a self-aligning radial bushing at the top which cannot be displaced, and an identical self-aligning radial busing at the bottom which, when used in combination with an oil-impregnated bronze thrust washer, provides ease of movement.
Full Rated Capacity
- Pre-engineered for use with powered hoists. A factor of 15% of the jib crane capacity is allowed for the hoist and the trolley weight with an additional 25% of the capacity allowed for impact, thus giving full rated capacity use of the jib.
- Allows full utilization of the working are with 360° rotation.
Maximum Trolley Travel
- Mast / beam connections eliminate the need for tie rods or knee braces found on competitive designs, thus permitting maximum trolley travel.
Wall Cantilever Jib Cranes
An Ideal Jib for Maximizing Headroom
- The Wall Cantilever (WC200) provides hoist coverage and 200° rotation for individual use in bays, along walls or columns of plants, or as a supplement to an overhead crane or monorail system.
- The jib has the advantage of providing maximum lift for the hoist, since it can be installed very close to the underside of the lowest ceiling obstruction.
Two Key Requirements must be met before applying the Wall Cantilever Jib
- A structurally adequate wall or column to support the jib must exist
- Sufficient clearance above the boom throughout its arc must exist
We specialize in the sales, installation, and service of Jib Cranes, including but not limited to Floor Mount Jib Crane, Wall Mount Jib Crane, and Wall Cantilevered Jib Crane.Some of the information presented on this page comes from the Gorbel “Jib Cranes” brochure © Gorbel Inc 2010.